School of Electrical Engineering (SELECT)
The school of Electrical Engineering is equipped with 12 laboratories with modern infrastructure. State of the art facilities are available in all the labs, where students can get hands on experience in various technologies of Electrical Engineering. Details of the laboratories, list of software and the details of MSME sponsored “Center for Industrial Automation” are available below.
Basic Electrical Engineering Lab
Basic Electrical Engineering lab is having hardware and software facilities in which the fundamental experiments to understand the basics of circuits, semiconductor concepts clearly. The hardware lab equipped with Dual Trace Analog Oscilloscopes, Multi output Power Supplies, DC Regulated Power Supplies; Function Generators to do the experiments practically for understanding the basic concepts related to electrical circuits, analog circuits and semiconductor devices. LTspice software is installed in the software laboratory for simulation studies.
• Scientific Make 30 MHz Dual Trace Analog Oscilloscope
• Scientific Make 30MHz Analog Power Scope
• Multi output Power Supply 0-30V/2 A,5V/2A-12V/1A Power Supply
• DC Regulated Power Supply 0-30V/2 A, Dual Power Supply
• Scientific SM 5072- Function Generator
Electrical Machines Lab
Electrical Machines lab is equipped with all types of machines namely AC machines, DC Machines and Transformers for the students to understand basic concepts related to electrical machines.
• 100KVA, 200A -Three phase Stabilizer Panel
• Main Control panel for both AC and DC machines with separate two pole circuit breakers
• Variable dc output voltage (0-300V), 200A thyristor based Rectifier panel
• Three no’s of DC shunt Motor coupled with DC Shunt generator
• One set of DC shunt Motor coupled with DC Compound generator
• One set of DC Shunt Motor coupled with three phase squirrel cage induction motor
• Five no’s of DC shunt Motor coupled with three phase Alternator
• Three Phase Synchronous Motor
• Single phase induction motor
• Three phase slip ring induction motor
• Scott Connected Transformers
• Analog and digital tachometers
• Phase sequence indicator
• Ammeters, voltmeters and watt meters
• Frequency meter
• Resistive, capacitive and inductive loads
• NI-Interfacing module for 3phase squirrel cage induction Motor
• NI-Interfacing module for DC Shunt Motor
Control and Instrumentation Lab
The purpose of this lab is to provide a basic idea about analog measuring instruments, various transducers and bridges used for measurement of resistances, inductances and capacitances. The experiments designed for this lab includes transfer functions of dc machines and to study different controller techniques. Hardware is available for measurement, characterization and synthesis of Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Systems.
This lab is equipped with the following major equipments and software:
• Study of Non – Linear system with different controllers
• Quanser Cube Rotary Servo system
• Wheatstone Bridge
• Kelvin’s Double Bridge
• Maxwell S Inductance
• Anderson Bridge
• Schering Bridge
• Synchro Transmitter & Receiver Trainer
• NI Elvis Workstation kits
• Q net Mechatronics sensor trainer, VTOL trainer, DC motor control, Rotary inverted pendulum
• NI automatic data processing plug in cable
• Softwares- LabView 2011, Matlab 2012b
• Quanser Equipment Ball and Beam with SRV02 Rotary Unit
• Rotary Flexible Joint Module for SRV02
• Feedback Magnetic Levitation System
• Quanser Rotary Inverted Pendulum, academic accessories kit
• NI 4432 Automatic Data processing Plug-in Cable
• Q –Net Mechatronics Sensor academic accessories kit
• Q -Net VTOL Trainer academic accessories kit
• Q-Net DC Motor Control academic accessories kit
• NI -DAQ device USB 6008
• NI -DAQ device USB6009
• NI -MY RIO Board
• NI 8 in 1 Measurements Hardware – Analog Discovery NI Edition
Electrical Simulation Lab
The lab is equipped with Linux Operating system, MATLAB simulation package and LTSpice software. The Lab supports MATLAB products that include DSP System Toolbox, Fuzzy Logic Toolbox, Simscape, Simulink Control Design, Symbolic Math Toolbox, Neural Network Toolbox, Partial Differential Equation Toolbox, SimMechanics, SimEvents, Statistics Toolbox etc. The Lab also supports LTSpice software. LTspice is used for simulations of basic electrical and electronic circuits. The software packages are also extensively used by researchers for simulation studies.
Research experiments include modelling and simulation of different controllers for converter topologies suitable for various applications, design and simulation of FACTS devices like active filters, STATCOM, UPQC etc. and novel converter configurations for renewable energy applications are done using MATLAB. Various commercial and industrial application circuits based on power electronic converters and controllers are also modelled and simulated with MATLAB before final implementation.
Power Electronics Hardware Lab
The lab primarily provides hands on training in power electronics based systems for UG and PG programs offered by the school. The laboratory has well equipped instruments like multi-channel oscilloscope, High voltage & High current measurement set-ups, Power Quality analyzer and Spectrum Analyzer. The facilities can further be extended to apply advanced controllers like DSP/FPGA for Power Electronics and Drives applications. Availability of Simulation packages like MatLab, PSIM, VisSIM, supports the research and development of advanced power converter based systems.
● Tektronix 4 Channel Isolated DSO (TPS 2024B)
● Tektronix Mixed Domain Oscilloscope (MDO 4104C)
● Agilent 7000 series Mixed Storage Oscilloscope
● High Voltage differential probes up to 7kV measurement capability
● Fluke Power Analyser
● IGBT/MOSFET based converter modules
● VPE Spartan 3A/3A DSP FPGA Controller
● Spartan 6 FPGA
● TMS320F28335 Based DSP Controller
● Multilevel Inverter Modules
● Programmable DC Power Supplies up to 5kW
Embedded Control Lab
This state of art lab provides an opportunity to students, faculty and researchers to work on applications of embedded systems. The experiments designed for this lab include simulation and hardware interfacing of various processors like 8051 Microcontroller, PIC and ARM. The lab is facilitated with FPGA and DSP Processors which can be used for various control applications.
This lab is equipped with the following major equipments and software:
• Single chip trainer MCU based on 89C51ED2 with USB communication
• PICI16F877 based microcontroller trainer with USB communication
• PIC kit 3 Debug express
• TMS320C2000 TM DSP Platform Code Composer Studio TM DSK v3.1 IDE
• Intelligent universal programmer (both USB & Parallel ports)
• 8 Channel 12 bit ADC Interface with MUX and user manual
• DAC for ADC & temperature sensor interface
• Stepper motor interface
• DSO 200 MHz 2GS/s
• Microcontroller development board for implementing PID based temperature controller digital controller trainer
• Temperature control system (slow process)
• Microcontroller development board for implementing power factor measurement
• Texas Instruments C2000 DSP based starter kits TMS320F2812
• FPGA Kit Altera cyclone III series development board
• Matlab R2012a
• Xilinx Plan ahead 14.1
• Keil uvision3
• Mplab IDE, V8.84
Protection and Switch gear Lab
This lab is equipped with major protection equipments which are used in real time power system network. These equipments are helpful for understand the concepts of the power system protection devices and its operation in the field. The major equipments are
This lab is equipped with the following major equipments and software:
• Transmission Line Simulator
• Transmission Line Fault simulator
• Over Voltage and Under Voltage Relay
• Non directional Over Current Relay
• Directional Over Current Relay
• Earth Fault Relay
• Differential relay
• Numerical impedance relay
• Cable Fault Locator
• Evaluation of positive, negative and zero sequence impedance of the synchronous generator
• Break down test of the transformer oil
• Power Quality analyzer (Fluke make)
The highlights of the transmission line simulator/fault simulator are given below:
• 415V, 3 Phase station model
• Energy meter in both station and load models to measure the voltage, current, power, power factor, etc
• Transmission line model as 12 pi circuits, consisting of series inductor, series resistor and shunt capacitor (Values can be varied as per the experiment)
• Series capacitor model to vary the series compensation from 10% to 50%
• SCADA for voltage control in the loading section
• Inductive and resistive load.
• Capacitor bank to improve on the power factor.
• Upto 200Km transmission line length can be achieved using the simulator.
• The fault simulator is equipped with the numerical impedance relay.
• The fault in the transmission line can be created at any place manually.
• The fault location can be identified and displayed with the use of impedance relay.
Power System Simulation Lab
Power System Simulation lab aimed at providing hands on experience with industry standard simulation software used for power system studies. PSCAD, MiPower and MATLAB /Simulink are the software available to conduct power system studies such as power flow, fault analysis, relaying schemes, operation and control of power system with renewable energy sources. Forty computers provided with state of art software are effectively used by the students for their course on Power System Engineering. The lab is also utilized by the students to carry out various projects on power system operation, control and protection studies.
Advanced Electrical Drives Lab
This lab is equipped with test benches for PLC based 3 kW AC and DC drives system. Each bench consists of an ac drive, dc drive and a servo drive and the drive is controlled by PLCs. The lab supports a real industry set up of various speed control methods of electrical machines. It is also equipped with experimental set up for special electrical machines such as BLDC, PMSM and SRM drive. The advanced DSP and FPGA controllers are used for motor control applications. dSPACE1103 controllers are available for academic and research purposes. Faculty and research scholars are utilizing the controllers for control signal generation for converters, choppers and inverters. It is also used for real time closed loop drives and converters applications. FLIR – E75 with 240 lens thermal imager is available to study the temperature analysis of electrical machines and power electronics converters. USB torque sensor (Capacity 0-200Nm, Speed -15000 rpm) is available to determine the torque of all types of electrical machines. NI9227, NI9225 and NI9401 DAQ devices are available for current, voltage and speed measurements with electrical drives experimental set up. Matrix converter, multilevel inverter, 3-phase inverter and 5-phase inverter experimental set up are available for academic and research purposes. ANSYS, MAGNET, MAXWELL and Motor Solve software tools are available for design of dc machine, induction machine and special electrical machines. MATLAB is used for simulation of converter and chopper fed dc motor drives, inverter fed induction motor drive and PMSM and BLDC motor drives in open loop and closed loop conditions.
PLC Controlled AC Drive
PLC Controlled DC Drive
PLC Controlled Servo Drive
MA8860AL91 –STCC-01 Static Converter System with Control Panels
W8860AL9L –SYS- Units for ICAN Systems
DSP based Speed Control of BLDC Motor
Linear Induction Motor Drive
3-Phase to 9 Phase Matrix Converter
3-Phase 9 Level Inverter
200 MHz Analog Channel 10M Records Spectrum Analyser
100 MHz Teck VPI Differential High Voltage Probe
FLIR Thermal Imaging Camera
USB Torque Sensor
3-phase Isolation Transformer
Smart Grid Lab
Smart Grid Lab is being established with the micro sources of 5KW solar power generation system and 2KW wind generation system. The energy sources are connected to the grid through inverters. Further, the prototype model for the power grid is under development. This will serve as a benchmark for research and development activities on smart grid technologies, photovoltaic applications, wind generation systems, storage and power system studies.
Real time digital simulator from OPAL RT is used for the hardware in loop simulations in power systems, power electronics and drives applications. High performance workstations act as user interface to the server. The real time digital simulator is OP4500 had 4 cores of 3.3 GHz Intel i7 processors with Xilinx Kintex 7 FPGA Co-processor. It can simulate up to 8-µs model loop time for subsystem executed on the Intel CPU and less than 250 ns for subsystems executed on the FPGA chips. It is compatible with RT-LAB, MATLAB, Simulink, RTW, Xilinx System Generator and Lab VIEW.
• 5 kW Photovoltaic System: Roof Top Installation with grid tied inverter
• Real Time Digital Simulator: OP4500 eminisim unit
• 2 kW Wind Generation System: Generator, Wind Mill along with Roof Top Lattice Tower and Grid Tied Inverter
• Mixed Domain Oscilloscope
• DC Power Supply: 6 kW, 125 V, 48 A
• 1 kVA 3phase alternator with prime mover drive and necessary meters
• 3 kVA solar power synchronizing panel setup with dc-dc converter, inverter and meters
• 2 kW wind power synchronizing panel setup with 720 Ah battery bank, dc-dc converter, inverter and meters
• Transmission Line model with CT and PT
PCB Fabrication and Testing Lab
The School has an excellent PCB Fabrication and Testing Laboratory. The lab has a variety of facilities for PCB layout design and fabrication of electronic and electrical circuits. It is extensively used by students and researchers to make PCBs for their project/ research work.
Facilities Available :
• PCB by chemical etching – Conventional PCB fabrication set-up
• MITS PCB Prototype Machine – Automatic PCB fabrication set-up by mechanical milling/drilling
• Soldering Stations – 3 Channels with temperature control for SMD soldering/rework
• Soldering Stations – 2 Channels with temperature control
• Software’s available – Orcade-Cadence, PCB Express, Eagle (for PCB Layout design and GERBER/DXF file generation)
Electrical and Electronics Workshop Lab
Electrical and Electronics workshop lab is being established to impart basic concepts of Electrical and Electronics Engineering to all branches of engineering students. The lab equipped with the facility of power, current, voltage, earth resistance management, household wiring system and troubleshooting of various electrical and electronics equipment.
• Clamp meters
• Decade Resistance, Inductance, Capacitance Boxes
• Function Generators
• Audio Frequency oscillators
• Winding Machines
• Drilling machines
• Cutting machine
• Digital frequency meters
• Lux Meters
• Regulated Power Supplies
• Digital LCR Meters
• Analog Oscilloscopes
• Digital Storage Oscilloscopes
List of Software
Following are the software packages available in the school of Electrical Engineering for the academic and research activities:
• Auto CAD Electrical
• Keil µvision, Hi-Tech C compiler
• RT-Lab (OPALRT)
• Maxwell (Ansys)
• Solid Work
• Motor Solve
Center for Industrial Automation
MSME identified VIT as a NODAL center and approve CDCE to establish the Center for Industrial Automation equipped with industrial automation equipment. Subsequently, a MoU for a duration of three years is signed between CDCE Automation, (authorized training partner of MSME, GOI) and VIT on October 8, 2018 to establish the Center for Industrial Automation. Finally, Center for Industrial Automation is inaugurated on 13 March, 2019 at VIT, for certification course in the area of industrial automation in collaboration with MSME. The objectives and scopes of this center are as follows.
- To train young Engineers with new skill set of Industrial Automation towards Industry 4.0.
- To provide link between the Industries and the Institutes and to afford industry ready manpower for future automation especially in manufacturing plants of Automotive Applications, Industrial Machinery Applications and Engineering in various areas like Petrochemical, Fertilizers, Oil & Natural Gas and Cement Industries.
- To train the students in Industrial Automation and Robotics for a minimum duration of 80 Hrs.
- To conduct Faculty Development Programs, workshops and seminars.
- To provide In-house Internship Consultancy project to the students of VIT who underwent the training there by enhancing the Institute – Industry Interaction.
- To conduct Guest Lecture by Industry experts and to visit the Industry.
List of Major Equipment:
- Switch Gear Kit
- PLC and HMI Trainer Kit with Sensor and Controller
- Load Cell and LVDT
- VFD Trainer
- Servo Motor