VIT was established with the aim of providing quality higher education on par with international standards. It persistently seeks and adopts innovative methods to improve the quality of higher education on a consistent basis.The campus has a cosmopolitan atmosphere with students from all corners of the globe. Experienced and learned teachers are strongly encouraged to nurture the students. The global standards set at VIT in the field of teaching and research spur us on in our relentless pursuit of excellence. In fact, it has become a way of life for us. The highly motivated youngsters on the campus are a constant source of pride. Our Memoranda of Understanding with various international universities are our major strength. They provide for an exchange of students and faculty and encourage joint research projects for the mutual benefit of these universities. Many of our students, who pursue their research projects in foreign universities, bring high quality to their work and esteem to India and have done us proud. With steady steps, we continue our march forward. We look forward to meeting you here at VIT.
History of VIT
It was established under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission (UGC) Act, 1956, and was founded in 1984 as a self-financing institution called the Vellore Engineering College. The Union Ministry of Human Resources Development conferred University status on Vellore Engineering College in 2001. The University is headed by its founder and Chancellor, Dr. G. Viswanathan, a former Parliamentarian and Minister in the Tamil Nadu Government. In recognition of his service to India in offering world class education, he was conferred an honorary doctorate by the West Virginia University, USA.VIT Chennai was established in 2010. Mr. Sankar Viswanathan, Dr. Sekar Viswanathan and Mr.G.V.Selvam are the Vice-Presidents; Dr.Rambabu Kodali is the Vice-Chancellor and Dr. V. S. Kanchana Bhaaskaran is the Pro-Vice-Chancellor.
Transforming life through excellence in education and research.
- World class Education: Excellence in education, grounded in ethics and critical thinking, for improvement of life.
- Cutting edge Research: An innovation ecosystem to extend knowledge and solve critical problems.
- Impactful People: Happy, accountable, caring and effective workforce and students.
- Rewarding Co-creations: Active collaboration with national & international industries & universities for productivity and economic development.
- Service to Society: Service to the region and world through knowledge and compassion.
- Student focus
- Strong ethics
- Striving for excellence
- Social development
- Respect for all
- NAAC has re-accredited VIT with an ‘A++’ grade.
- Land Area : 192.13 Acres
- VIT Chennai has around 13000 students.
- Students from various countries as well as from every state in India
- 508 faculty and 137 staff members are in VIT Chennai
- VIT has been accredited by TCS, Wipro and Cognizant for academic collaboration and placements.
- Entered the Limca Book of Records for Campus Recruitment.