At VIT, semester pattern is followed. An academic year consists of two semesters. The Fall (Odd) Semester begins in June and the Winter (Even) Semester in December. The academic schedule mentioned in the academic calendar will be strictly followed.
Qualified faculty members assigned with various theory subjects prepare course plans using the standard format provided by the institute with emphasis on ‘learning’ of the students. The instructional or lecture delivery of the faculty will be through a set of Educational Technology / Tools opted by the faculty. The lectures lay emphasis on the following:
- Knowledge content (topics in the curriculum)
- Utility value – application in real life
- Latest developments
The classroom sessions will be interactive and will encourage the students to think independently and inspire their creativity. The faculty will ensure that the students in the class have assimilated the content projected. High level of discipline will be maintained in the classroom. The faculty members are empowered to curb any disturbance and ensure that the time is used fruitfully. To this effect, students are expected to maintain decorum and refrain from causing any disturbance in the classroom.Classroom instructions may be supplemented by students presentations and / or guest lectures by external/internal experts.Attendance will be taken by the faculty concerned at the beginning of each session.
Continuous Internal Assessment System
- Continuous assessments carry an overall weightage of 60%. The assessments include written tests and several other assessment options. Written tests include Computer Based
Tests (CBT), Open Note Book (ONB) and Open Book (OB) type, in addition to the regular examination mode. ONB and OB examinations ensure that the students concentrate on developing their higher cognitive levels.
- The other assessment options include home assignments (both manual and digital), involvement in Technical events, online courses, video recording, quiz and several
others. Rubrics are well-defined and communicated to the students in advance.
- Courses with blend of theory, laboratory and project as applicable skills are assessed on all the three components to finalize the grades as per the ratio of their weightages.
All assessments are mapped to the appropriate course outcomes. The marks obtained in the continuous and final assessments are used to quantify the attainment of the course outcome. However, only the grades obtained by the student, in a given course, are considered for calculating the programme outcome and programme specific outcome attainment