The Central library has been established with state-of-art infrastructure to the International Standards, spreads over to four floors with built-in area of 2322.58 sq.m. It has provided with centrally air-conditioning system, well-protected with fire alarm, CCTV, and Flap Barrier. Reference and Textbooks of national and international authors, International and National Journals & Non-Book materials are available to cater various fields of Basic Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Law, Fashion Technology, Humanities and Social Sciences. VIT Chennai Library has a Digital library, Video Conferencing facility. Central Library is using Koha software for Library automation and has implemented RFID technology with self-issue and return kiosk, WEB-OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue), and online renewal facility.
Resources (as on 27.07.2021)
|Library Resources||Chennai campus|
|Total Number of Books||63,491|
|Total Number of Back Volumes||2,439|
|Online databases/E-Journals :(On and Off Campus access facility)|
ABI Inform Complete (Pro-Quest), Bentham Science, , EBSCO Business Source Complete, EMERALD Management Journals, Emerald Emerging Market Case Studies (EEMCS), IEL Online (IEEE & IEE), Springer Nature Journals and SAE Technical Papers (SAE Mobilus), Scifinder Scholar, and ProQuest-Dissertation & Theses (ETD) Part A & B (Science and Engineering, Humanities and Social Science ) Web of Science, Web of Science – back-files (1997-2020). For Law Heinonline, JSTOR, LexisNexis, Manupatra and Westlaw India.
|E-Book – (On and Off Campus access facility)||17,393|
|CD / DVD||4,303|
|Total Number of Magazines||60|
- Circulation Service
- Reference Service
- Web OPAC (On-line Public Access Catalogue)
- Resource Sharing (Inter Library Loan)
- Multimedia Resource Service
- On-line Databases
- NPTEL e-Learning Facility
- User Education Program
- Tele / Video Conferencing
All students, faculty members and staff of the institute are membership of the library
- BCL, Chennai
- American Information Resources Center, Chennai
Library Networks Membership
- DELNET, Delhi
- INFLIBNET, Ahmedabad
- MALIBNET, Chennai
The Library contributes to the fulfillment of the University's mission by:
- Selecting, acquiring, organising, maintaining and making accessible a collection of printed and non-printed, primary and secondary materials that will support the educational, research and public service programmes of both students and the faculty.
- Responding to the varying needs of the academic community by involving the faculty, the students and the administration in the development and periodic assessment of the library services and resources.
- Providing library users with point-of-use instruction, personal assistance in conducting literature research and other reference services.
- Providing an environment conducive to the optimum use of library materials and an appropriate schedule of hours of service and professional assistance.
- Participating in overall computing resources plan and providing for full library utilization of automation technology, physical facilities and equipment adequate to process, catalogue and store the materials.
- Enhancing the library’s resources and services through cooperative relationship with other libraries and agencies.
Circulation Kiosk – Return Kiosk, Multi Touch Table, Office for Librarian, Sr. Asst. Librarian & Asst. Librarian. Journal Section, Technical Section, Photocopier Section & Library OPAC.
Reference Section – Reading Hall, Discussion Rooms, Office for Prof. Incharge – Library, Stack area I
Video Conferencing room, Reading Hall, Discussion Room and Photocopier Section, Stack Area II
Digital Library, Media Resource / NPTEL Centre and Library Server Room. Stack Area III