The Central library has been established with state-of-art infrastructure to the International Standards, spreads over to four floors with built-in area of 25000 sq.ft. It has provided with centrally air-conditioning system, well-protected with fire alarm, CCTV, Flap Barrier and RFID book security system. Reference and textbooks of national and international authors, International and national Journals & Non-book materials are available to cater various fields of Basic Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Law, Humanities and Social Sciences. The Collection includes with 81860 documents, 61477 volumes of books, 1225 back volumes, 4185 CD’s and DVD’s. The Central Library subscribes National & International Print Journals and more than 12658+ e-Journals and 2,315 e-books. The subscribed e-resources are ProQuest-ABI / Inform Complete, ProQuest-Dissertation & Theses (ETD) Part A & B, Bentham Science, Heinonline , JSTOR , Lexis Nexis, Manupatra, Westlaw India SAE Tech. Papers, Springer Link, bibliographical databases Scifinder Scholar, & Scopus, e-books . VIT Chennai Library has a Digital library, Video Conferencing facility and also provides classroom teaching through NPTEL video courses in the different fields of education.
The Library contributes to the fulfillment of the University's mission by:
- Selecting, acquiring, organising, maintaining and making accessible a collection of printed and non-printed, primary and secondary materials that will support the educational, research and public service programmes of both students and the faculty.
- Responding to the varying needs of the academic community by involving the faculty, the students and the administration in the development and periodic assessment of the library services and resources.
- Providing library users with point-of-use instruction, personal assistance in conducting literature research and other reference services.
- Providing an environment conducive to the optimum use of library materials and an appropriate schedule of hours of service and professional assistance.
- Participating in overall computing resources plan and providing for full library utilization of automation technology, physical facilities and equipment adequate to process, catalogue and store the materials.
- Enhancing the library’s resources and services through cooperative relationship with other libraries and agencies.
Circulation Kiosk – Return Kiosk, Multi Touch Table, Office for Librarian, Sr. Asst. Librarian & Asst. Librarian. Journal Section, Technical Section, Photocopier Section & Library OPAC.
Reference Section – Reading Hall, Discussion Rooms, Office for Prof. Incharge – Library, Stack area I
Video Conferencing room, Reading Hall, Discussion Room and Photocopier Section, Stack Area II
Digital Library, Media Resource / NPTEL Centre and Library Server Room. Stack Area III