Amidst the numerous programs offered at VIT, some cater to the research domain as well, namely, Ph.D and Integrated Ph.D. Students have a wide of variety of choices ranging from Nanoelectronics, Disaster management, HR, Finance to Cancer biology, Structural Engineering and several Languages.
The university offers the following research programs.
Internal Full Time:
- A candidate who wishes to work for Ph.D. / Integrated Ph.D. degree on full time basis (including project staff working in sponsored projects being carried out at VIT) should apply in the prescribed form on or before the specified date.
External Part Time:
- Teachers working in other colleges in a permanent position and candidates sponsored by R&D organizations of following categories are eligible to apply to work on a part time basis for Ph.D. degree.
- Laboratories run by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research/ Department of Atomic Energy / Department of Space etc.
- Public Sector undertakings with R & D Units.
- Private Industries recognized by The Department of Scientific & Industrial Research, Government of India as engaged in R&D work or contributing to R&D efforts. A copy of the certificate issued by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) in this regard will be required to be produced in such cases.
- Medical Industry, Institutions and Hospitals with approved R&D in the relevant area. (A copy of the certificate issued by the appropriate authority to be produced).
Minimum Qualification for Admission
For Ph.D. in Engineering:
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology in the relevant discipline with a first class or a minimum of 60% marks/CGPA 6.5 on a 10 point scale in cases where the University/Institute does not award any class or
- Equivalent qualifications like M.Sc. (Engineering) / M.S. [By Research.] / M.Tech [By Research].
For Ph. D in Sciences:
- Master’s degree in the relevant discipline of Science with a first class (or a minimum of 60% marks/CGPA 6.5 on a 10 point scale in cases where the University/ Institute does not award any class).
For Ph. D in Languages:
- Master’s degree with a minimum of 60% marks or 6.5 CGPA
For Ph. D in Management:
- Master in Business Administration / CA / ICWA with a first class or a minimum of 60% marks/CGPA 6.5 on a 10 point scale in cases where the University/Institute does not award any class.
For Ph.D. in Law
- Master’s Degree in law (LLM/ML) from any recognized University/Institute, in the relevant field with a minimum of 60% marks or 6.5 CGPA.
For Ph. D in Fashion Technology:
- Tech./M.E./M.Fashion Tech/M.S.[By Research]/M.Tech [By Research] in the field of Textile/Textile Engineering/Fibre Science/Textile Chemical Processing / Fashion / Apparel / Garment with a first class or a minimum of 60% marks/CGPA 6.5 on a 10 point scale in cases where the University/Institute does not award any class.
Note: M.Sc Computer Science, M.Sc (IT), MCA and M.S.(Software Engg.) degree holders are not eligible to apply for PhD. Program.
For all the Research Programmes, it is mandatory that the candidate should have studied in regular, full time and formal education in their previous degree programmes (UG and PG).
- Applications will be invited by open advertisement in all leading newspapers / local announcement for all categories of candidates mentioned in section 2.
- No VIT entrance examination (VITREE).
- Selected candidates will be called for a personal interview conducted at the campus where the admission is sought.
- Final Selection will be based on the overall merit index of the candidate which will be arrived at by taking into account the candidate’s performance in the previous university examinations at Master’s level and the performance in the written test, research output and / the performance in personal interview at VIT.
Internal full-time candidates: A candidate who wishes to work for Integrated Ph.D degree on full time (including project staff working in sponsored projects being carried out at the Institute) should apply in the prescribed form on or before due dates to be announced normally once every year.
For Integrated Ph.D in Engineering / Technology:
- Bachelor’s Students with outstanding academic record in the Bachelor’s degree in engineering technology disciplines of Bio-Technology / Electronics, with an aptitude towards advanced scientific and technological research are eligible to apply.
- A minimum of 80% marks or a CGPA of 8.5 is mandatory. Candidates who are appearing for the final examination can also apply provided they meet all the requirements before admission.
- Applications will be invited by open advertisement in all leading newspapers/ local announcement for all categories.
- Out of the applications received, the Schools/Centers will short-list the candidates to be called for interview.
- Selection will be based on the overall merit index of the candidate which will be arrived at by taking into account the candidate’s performance in the previous university examinations at Bachelor’s and Master’s level and / the interview.
|Programme||Caution Deposit (Rs.)||Tuition Fee (Rs.)||Thesis Fee* (Rs.)|
|Ph. D. Internal Full Time||3000||40,000||10,000|
|Ph.D. External part Time (Teachers)||3000||60,000||10,000|
|Ph.D. External part Time (Industry)||3000||75,000||10,000|