Civil Engineering: Course, Job, Scope and Career Opportunity
The field of engineering is a vast arena nowadays. On one end of the spectrum, there are the new-age fields like nanotechnology and genetic engineering. On the other end, we have the classics, like mechanical and electrical engineering. Rounding out this trio in the field of civil engineering, which is a specialization that has been around since the advent of civilization itself. Everyone in the engineering field knows the civil engineering course to be one of the “Big Three”.
Civil engineering is a field with a vast array of career prospects. It opens up projects and job opportunities that could help you leave a lasting legacy in this world. If you’ve been toying with the idea of getting a civil engineering degree, this article will tell you everything you need to know.
Surely, there must be a ton of questions on your mind, ranging from job prospects to course content. Let’s focus on each section one by one, for a clearer perspective.
Like any other engineering field, civil engineering offers dedicated degree programs at multiple levels of qualification. The general objective through these multi-layered courses is to upskill students who aspire to be civil engineers.
B.Tech/B.E. Civil Engineering is far and away one of the most popular courses that aspiring engineers pick. Across the board, UG civil engineering courses in India focus on imparting the fundamentals associated with the field. This includes subjects like
- Strength of Materials
- Structural Analysis
- Engineering Mechanics
As is the norm, UG degrees are a 4-year course. After gaining your degree, you will be well-versed with the basic know-how to become a civil engineer. This includes contemporary knowledge of the latest practices in the field.
In terms of higher studies, civil engineering offers a multitude of options. These courses branch out into different specializations, each targeting a distinct avenue of civil engineering.
As a whole, a Master’s degree in civil engineering is about taking a decisive step towards a career path in civil. A Master’s degree will help upskill yourself in a particular field, making you job-ready once you graduate. Some popular courses you can opt for are:
– Structural Engineering
– Construction Technology
– Architectural Engineering
With such a plethora of options in front of you, the choice is yours!
To qualify yourself a notch above, you can opt for a doctorate in civil engineering! As you may have deduced, a doctoral degree here is research-centric and focused on new discoveries and innovations.
Being a dynamic field that’s continually evolving, there is ample scope for a doctoral degree in civil engineering. On the job side of things, a Ph.D. opens up new possibilities and better job prospects for your career.
Even with a basic degree in civil engineering, the number of jobs you can apply for are manifold. Your job search will probably start after you sit for placements in your UG civil engineering course, where you can take a shot at getting a job in a core company.
As you probably may have guessed, jobs in the civil engineering sector usually revolve around architecture and fieldwork. The logical career choices in this field focus on the technical aspects of construction. As a qualified civil engineer, you have a crack at jobs such as:
- Construction Engineer. This is a popular choice for civil engineering graduates. The job places them at the forefront of project supervision. In a nutshell, your job will be to make sure the project proceeds at a streamlined pace, with no hassles involved.
- Survey Specialist. Another aspect of being a civil engineer is that your aptitude in project management and estimation is a valuable asset. Since project construction is a relatively expensive affair, you will be drafted to provide insights on how to optimize budgets for construction. All-in-all, it’s about delivering value to your clients.
Needless to say, the more qualified you are, the better your job prospects will be. It goes without saying that managerial positions as civil engineers are readily assigned to those with a Masters’s degree. Certain jobs also require a high degree of specialization. In that interest, it’s imperative that you qualify yourself for the job you want.
Being a civil engineer goes beyond just landing your dream job. That is just one piece of the grander puzzle. Since civil engineering is part of fundamental science and discipline, the career prospects are endless. Once you gain your degree from the respective civil engineering course in India, you can branch out in many more ways than the traditional job hunt. Let’s take a glimpse at a few of the many options you’ll have at hand.
- Civil engineering is a field ripe with opportunities in floating your own agency. You can set up a consultancy agency that advises project developers on resource management. Alternatively, you can become a developer yourself and dive into the business firsthand! Your acumen in the field will definitely come in handy when it comes to making the right business decisions as a real estate entrepreneur.
- Of late, the focus in the construction field has shifted to a more sustainable approach. The question this avenue seeks to answer is, can civil engineering be geared to place less of a strain on our environment? That’s where the field of environmental study comes in. It’s a field with promise, where you have excellent potential to explore new-age construction materials that can be a gamechanger for the civil engineering world.
- Real estate. Why not utilize your field’s biggest strength to your advantage? Governments and private agencies alike are looking for qualified professionals who can be an asset to their projects. Offer your services to those who are willing to pay you handsomely and reap the rewards that come with them!
Though civil engineering may be one of the oldest disciplines in the field, it surely isn’t a thing of the past. With the right dedication and career choices, an aspiring civil engineer has all the tools to make a name for himself/herself. At VIT, we offer world-class civil engineering courses at various levels. Enquire with us to know more!