Software Developers: Types and Future of Software Developer
Did you know that it took over 40 years to create 500 million apps, and it’s only going to take five more years to develop the following 500 million apps?
It’s almost unbelievable, isn’t it? But that’s what the future of a software developer looks like. This blog will tell you about the different types of software developers and what the future looks like.
Think about the lifestyle we follow today – we’re always looking at the small screen and big screens, and then take a break to look at more giant screens. The future of software developers is safe and sound as long as developers keep thinking, “How can we make this better?” and users keep asking, “what’s going to be the next big thing?”
Types of Software Developer
After completing B.Tech in Information Technology, B.Tech in Computer Science, and B.Tech in Software Engineering, you can enter the software industry. There are many types of software developer born from the change in trends and developments in India. The different types of software developer are:
1. Web developers
The first type of software developer, Web developers, are the ones who code all the dotcoms – Google, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, etc. There are two types of web developers:
2. Backend developers
Backend developers work on developing the aspects that users can’t see. They work at the server-side.
3. Frontend developers
Frontend developers work on the visual elements of a website. They work on the aspects that users interact with. So, they work on the client side.
4. Language/Compilers Developer
The second type of software developer is a Language developer. As a language developer, you would do the job of a linguist, but in the virtual world. Only 1% of the developers are language developers, and their main job is to build programming languages.
5. Embedded System Developers
About 3% of developers program codes that run on hardware. All the electrical items around you – fridge, washing machine, television; all work because they have codes in them. So, as an embedded system developer, you will tell the machine what to do.
6. Operating systems Developer
The job of an operating systems manager is to make better softwares. So, if you work as an operating systems developer for Apple, you will be responsible for the regular software updates provided to the users.
7. Data Scientist
About 7% of developers are Data Scientists – they are like mathematicians and statisticians who write programs. As a Data scientist, you will be given lots of data, and you’ll have to convert them to mathematical and statistical models that will help make future predictions.
8. Video game developers
This type of software developer accounts for 8% of the developers. They are the ones who write and code video games.
9. Development and Operations developers
Also known as dev ops or system administrators, this type of software developer regulates and operates the computer infrastructure and maintains the company’s servers.
10. Desktop developer
As a desktop developer, you will be engaged in making new applications for desktop users. The most used and common applications are Safari, Chrome, Paint, Adobe, etc.
11. Mobile apps developers
The last of the types of software developer is the mobile app developer. As many as 20% of the developers are working towards creating mobile applications. They are responsible for providing us with new and unique applications on our mobile phones.
Big companies like TCL and Infosys start their hunt for software developers from engineering colleges. Some of the most popular companies that recruit software engineers are:
The average salary for a fresher wanting to get into software development is around 4,00,000 – 5,00,000 per year. Once you gain experience in the industry, you can earn up to INR 15 lakhs per year. The salary only increases as years pass by. (Source: Payscale)
Future of a Software developer
The future of software development is happening now – in the present, and it is only going to keep getting better 10x times. Statistics show that the software industry contributes almost 7% to India’s GDP as of 2021, compared to just 1.2% in 1998. Here’s what the future of software developer looks like:
– UX will remain at #1: UI is the topmost trend for the future of software developer. User experience will always be the priority. Developers will have to come up with innovative ways to give the users the best experience possible. Artificial Intelligence will gain more and more popularity.
– Smaller applications: The future of software developer involves the usage of smaller applications. Bite-sized applications will be loved and gain more popularity. As developers have already started giving people big things in small packages, this will only intensify with time.
– Hardware will disappear: Software developers are prepping for a world with self-driven cars and maybe even self-flying vehicles.
– More innovation: According to perforce, internet users will multiply by 2025. As more and more people shift to online, there will be an increasing need to make things better. Instead of buying machines and computers, people will consider purchasing the cloud. This will lead to multiplied innovation.
– Proactive softwares: The future of software developer is looking towards being fast and more efficient. Artificial intelligence will be able to predict what the user wants and get a lot smarter!
With the advent of Artificial Intelligence and Big data, a software developer’s future is sure to flourish and escalate at an exponential rate. As the world shifts to AI and proactivity, the demand for skilled software developers is at an all-time high.
The career prospects for all types of software developers are in abundance. The key to flourishing in the industry is to keep innovating and getting all the experience you can get. VIT Chennai is one of the leading engineering Colleges in Chennai, India that offer the best software development courses.
Apply for their engineering courses to get a bright future in software development.
Let us know which type of software developer you want to be in the comments below!